British Consulate General - Houston Policy & Communications Intern
- Description: The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)Communications, Press and Media, Political
The British Consulate in Houston is seeking an intern to join our Political & Communications team.
The UK/US relationship is the single most important bilateral relationship to the UK. It encompasses exceptionally close political, diplomatic, cultural, economic, military and personal relations between our two countries. The UK is the number one foreign investor in the US and likewise the US is the number one investor in the UK. Around one million Americans rely on British Companies for employment. The Consulate in Houston leads British efforts to engage with political, business and academic leadership in its region covering Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.
The Political & Communications Intern will support the Consulate staff in its efforts to promote the interests of Britain in the Southern region and in building relationships on behalf of the UK with decision-makers and opinion-formers around the region who matter most now and those who will matter in the future through personal and online outreach. The Houston Political and Communications team is part of a network of similar teams in our offices around the US working to a shared strategy led by the Embassy; as well as fulfilling the local requirements of the Consulate-General.
- Support or lead projects and programmes as needed
- Help with the coordination of Residence and Consulate events
- Update and maintain media and contact lists
- Support outreach efforts to promote the Marshall Scholarship
- Support social media efforts via platforms like Facebook and Twitter
- Other duties as assigned
- URL: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/brand-2/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/671-Political-Communications-Intern/en-GB
- Level: Internship
- Location: Houston TX
Essential qualifications and experience
Must be a junior or a senior in an undergraduate program, or enrolled in a graduate program by the start date of your internship (least 60 credit hours of undergraduate coursework completed). Since this is an unpaid internship, students receiving college credit in exchange for their internships are required.
Conveys professionalism via phone and email
Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
Experience with social media including Facebook and Twitter;
Reliable, capable under pressure, an excellent communicator orally and in writing;
Able to demonstrate a track record of taking the initiative and problem solving
Able to demonstrate an interest and understanding of politics and international relations
Under US State requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders, A or J1 Visa holders with valid Work Authorization Documents. If you hold a Visa other than an A or J1 Visa you are not eligible to work at the Embassy. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
British Consulate General - Houston
- Contact Method:
Online application only