Business Development Associate - Life Sciences and Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK Government’s international business development agency. DIT USA, working closely with DIT and other agencies in the United Kingdom, is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US; and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. (Seehttps://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-international-trade)
The position is based at the British Consulate General in Houston.
The Business Development Associate (BDA) will be a part of the local Trade & Investment team based in Houston. The BDA will also be part of both the Life Science Team and the Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing (AEM) Team. Life Science is comprised of two main sub-sectors: biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, and healthcare (including medical devices, diagnostics, and digital health). AEM is comprised of several subsectors including: agritech, aerospace, automotive, chemicals, defence, food and drink, and space.
The BDA will support the Trade & Investment Officer for Life Sciences and AEM in Houston to deliver on targets pertaining to UK exports and US investment into the UK. This role involves administrative responsibility as well as external and client facing opportunities. The candidate will get exposure to C-level industry executives, gain insight on companies’ strategies, learn about innovative technologies, and work for a large government department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identify US Life Science and AEM companies that may be interested in establishing or expanding operations in the UK. Make initial contact, organize visit programs, schedule meetings, and write briefings for the Life Science/AEM Officer. Attend meetings where appropriate.
- Support account management of regional companies (Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico) and the delivery of investment projects.
- Conduct research on industry developments, best routes to market and potential US business partners for UK life sciences exporters looking to enter the U.S. market.
- Build knowledge and developments and trends in Life Sciences and AEM.
- Assist with initiatives such as trade missions, seminars, webinars, receptions and other events to promote the UK’s strengths. Provide event management and logistical support where necessary.
- Maintain client relationship management records, lists of industry contacts and other data.
- Liaise with internal teams and external contacts at an executive level, including cold calls and networking at events.
- Support and facilitate visits by senior government officials and other VIPs, including by organising logistics and scheduling company meetings.
- Provide operational and administrative support to the Trade & Investment Officer, and if necessary to the wider Houston Trade & Investment team.
- Assist with consular support services in times of crisis.
- Attend and Represent DIT at industry seminars and conferences to gather information and report on developments potentially impacting the UK.
- Familiarity of Social Media and ability to create and execute a social media strategy for the DIT Houston Life Sciences & AEM.
- Location: Houston TX
- Starts On: May 2, 2017, 8 a.m.
3-5 years professional experience, preferably in the life sciences or international affairs fields
Knowledge of the US and UK business environments
Able to confidently engage with senior representatives from the public and private sectors – both in person and over the telephone
Proactive self-starter, able to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks
Excellent research and writing skills
Able to provide clear, concise summaries and respond to requests at short notice
Organized with a meticulous attention to detail
Committed team player with the ability to operate as part of a wider US/UK team
Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy Network may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
- Education Required:
Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
British Consulate General Houston