June Investment News
1. Economic Indicators:
· UK / London
· US / NY
· Euro Zone
2. Investment /Economic Indicators:
· UK / US / Europe / Global
3. UK/US Exports/Imports
4. UK/EU & Non-EU Exports/Imports
5. New Investments:
· US Investments into UK
· UK Investments into US
6. Trade Shows:
1. ECONOMIC INDICATORS
- Gross Domestic Product was estimated to have increased by 0.3% between Q4 (October to December) 2014 and Q1 (January to March) 2015.
- CPI annual inflation was 0.1% in May 2015, up from -0.1% in April 2015
- For February to April 2015, 73.4% of people aged from 16 to 64 were in work, up from 72.7% for a year earlier. The unemployment rate for February to April 2015 was 5.5%, down from 6.6% for a year earlier.
- UK house prices increased by 5.5% in the year to April 2015, down from 9.6% in the year to March 2015.
- Production output increased by 0.7% in March 2015, compared with March 2014.
- Manufacturing output increased by 1.1% in March 2015, compared with March 2014.
- In the year to May 2015 the output price index for home sales of manufactured products fell 1.6%. In the same period the total input price index fell 12.0%.
- In April 2015, output in the construction industry decreased by 0.8% compared with March 2015, after increasing by 1.4% in March.
- The Index of Services increased by 3.2% in February 2015 compared with February 2014.
- In May 2015, the amount spent in the retail industry increased by 1.8% compared with May 2014 and by 0.2% compared with April 2015.
- Business Investment fell by an estimated £0.4 billion (0.9%) since Q3 2014. It increased by 3.7% compared with the same quarter a year ago.
- The UK’s deficit on seasonally adjusted trade in goods and services was £2.8 billion in March 2015. The deficit on trade in goods was £10.1 billion. The surplus on trade in services was estimated at £7.3 billion.
- The United Kingdom’s (UK) current account deficit was £25.3 billion in Q4 2014, down from a revised deficit of £27.7 billion in Q3 2014. The deficit in Q4 2014 equated to 5.6% of GDP at current market prices, down from 6.1% in Q3 2014.
- The number of visits to the UK by overseas residents in February 2015 was 2.1 million, a drop of 5% when compared to February 2014. Overseas residents spent £1 billion in the UK during these visits. During the period December 2014 to February 2015, overseas residents visits to the UK fell by 2% compared with the corresponding period a year earlier and spent 8% less during this period. In the 12 months to February 2015, the number of visits to the UK was 4% higher than a year earlier and earnings remained the same during this period.
- The estimated number of visits abroad by UK residents in February 2015 was 3.4 million. UK residents spent £2 billion during visits abroad in February 2015. In the 12 months to February 2015, the number of visits abroad by UK residents was 3% higher when compared with a year earlier and expenditure on these visits remained the same during this period.
For previously released UK economic indicators visit National Statistics: Link
- London’s annual growth in output was 3.9% in Q3 2014, unchanged from an upwardly revised estimate in Q2 2014.
- London’s annual employment growth decreased to 2.6% in Q3 2014 from an upwardly revised 3.8% in Q2 2014.
- Annual house price inflation in London was 15.3% in Q1 2015, up from a downwardly revised 14.6% in Q4 2014.
- The claimant count unemployment rate in London was unchanged at 2.1% in April 2015 down There were 114,700 seasonally adjusted unemployment claimants in London in April 2015 compared to an upwardly-revised 116,700 in March 2015.
- The Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) of business activity recorded 60.2 in April 2015, down from 61.8 in March 2015.
- The PMI for new orders for London firms recorded 61 in April 2015 compared to 62.1 in March 2015.
- The PMI for the level of employment in London firms was 55.1in April 2015, compared to 57.5 in March 2015.
- The RICS Residential Market Survey shows a positive net balance of 28 for London house prices over the three months to April 2015.
- The net house price expectations balance in London was 11 in April 2015.
- For Greater London, the consumer confidence score stood at 9 in April 2015, down from 11 in March 2015.
- The most recent 31 day period is from March 1st – March 31st, 2015. London’s Underground and buses had 293.8 million passenger journeys; 188.8 million by bus and 105.1 million by Underground.
- The moving average annual rate of growth in passenger journeys decreased to 1.2% from 1.6% in the previous period.
For more information please visit:
- Real gross domestic product (GDP) decreased at an annual rate of 0.2% in Q1 2015. Corporate Profits from current production decreased $110.8 billion in Q1 2015, following a decrease of $30.4 billion in Q4 2014.
- In April 2015, personal income increased $59.4 billion, or 0.4%, an disposable personal income (DPI) increased $48.8 billion, or 0.4% and consumption expenditures (PCE) decreased $2.6 billion, or less than 0.1%.
- In April 2015, goods and services deficit was $40.9 billion down $9.7 billion from $50.6 billion in March, revised. April exports were $189.9 billion, $1.9 billion more than March exports. April imports were $230.8 billion, $7.8 billion less than March imports.
- The U.S. current-account deficit increased to $113.3 billion (preliminary) in Q1 2015 from $103.1 billion (revised) in the Q4 2014. The deficit increased to 2.6% of (GDP) from 2.3% in Q4 2014.
For previously released US economic indicators visit US Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA): Link
- Private employment in New York City fell by 1,100 between March and April 2015.
- The unemployment rate fell to 6.5% between March and April 2015.
- The Manhattan Class A office vacancy rate was 8.6% in April 2015, while the average asking rent was $76 PSF.
- Hotel occupancy was 87.3% in March 2015, up from 85.5% in March 2014.
- Passengers in New York City area airports totaled 7.9 million in February 2015, up 8.8% from February 2014.
- In April 2015, the Manhattan Class A direct vacancy rate fell to 8.6% from 8.8% one-month prior, while the average rental rate held steady at $76 PSF.
- Direct vacancy rates fell to 8.1% for Midtown and to 3.9% for Midtown South Class A office space. Direct rental rates for these two submarkets went unchanged between March and April 2015.
- The Midtown Class A sublease rental rate fell to $65 PSF in April 2015—down from $70 PSF one-month prior.
- For the twelve months ending April 2015: Building projects (including new, additions, and alterations) that started construction in NYC fell by 6.0% while infrastructure (non-building) project starts were up 7.6% from the twelve months ending April 2014.
- Planned space for building project starts rose by 27.7% from the same period in 2014. The value associated with these projects was up 55.4% over the period.
- 2,967 residential building projects began construction, a 3.3% decrease from the twelve months ending in April 2014. These starts contained 29,646 units, an increase of 19.2% from last year.
- In February 2015, 7.9 million passengers flew into and out of the region's airports, an increase of 8.8% from February 2014.
- Domestic air carriers accounted for 5.3 million passengers, a 10.6% increase from February 2014.
- 2.6 million passengers traveled with international air carriers in February 2015, a 5.3% increase from February 2014.
- Total ridership on MTA subways, trains, and buses in March 2015 was 236.2 million, an increase of 1.6% from March 2014.
- Subway ridership in March 2015 was 153.0 million, up 3.1% from March 2014.
- Total Broadway attendance was approximately 1,149,800 during the four weeks ending April 26,2015, down 4.4% from the same period last year.
- Broadway revenues during this period were about $112.6 million, down 8.1% from last year.
- In March 2015, the average daily hotel room rate was $252, a 1.1% decrease from March 2014.
- Hotel occupancy was 87.3% in March 2015, up from 85.5% in March 2014.
- The average daily hotel room rate decreased the most in hotels charging over $500 per night
For more information please visit: Link
Click here for information courtesy BABC Member the Greater Houston Partnership
- Seasonally adjusted GDP rose by 0.4% in both the euro area (EA19) and the EU28 during Q1 2015, compared with the previous quarter, according to a second estimate published by Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In Q42014, GDP also grew by 0.4% in both areas.
- Euro area annual inflation was 0.3% in May 2015, up from 0.0% in April. In May 2014 the rate was 0.5%. European Union annual inflation was also 0.3% in May 2015, up from 0.0% in April. A year earlier the rate was 0.6%. These figures come from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union.
- The euro area (EA19) seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 11.1% in April 2015, down from 11.2% in March 2015, and down from 11.7% in April 2014. The EU28 unemployment rate was 9.7% in April 2015, stable compared with March 2015 and down from 10.3% in April 2014. These figures are published by Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union.
- The number of persons employed increased by 0.1% in the euro area (EA19) and by 0.3% in the EU28 in Q1 2015 compared with the previous quarter, according to national accounts estimates published by Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In Q4 2014, employment increased by 0.1% in the euro area and 0.2% in the EU28. These figures are seasonally adjusted
- House prices, rose by 1.1% in the euro area and by 2.6% in the EU in Q4 2014 compared with the same quarter of the previous year.
- In April 2015 compared with March 2015, seasonally adjusted industrial production rose by 0.1% in both the euro area (EA19) and the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In March 2015 industrial production decreased by 0.4% and 0.1% respectively.
- In April 2015, compared with March 2015, industrial producer prices fell by 0.1% in the euro area (EA19) and remained stable in the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In March 2015 prices increased by 0.2% in the euro area and by 0.3% in the EU28.
- In April 2015 compared with March 2015, the seasonally adjusted volume of retail trade rose by 0.7% in the euro area (EA19) and by 0.6% in the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In March retail trade fell by 0.6% and 0.4% respectively.
- In April 2015 compared with March 2015, seasonally adjusted production in the construction sector rose by 0.3% in the euro area (EA19) and fell by 0.3% in the EU28, according to first estimates from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In March 2015, production in construction grew by 0.6% and 1.4% respectively.
- In Q4 2014, the seasonally adjusted business investment rate was 21.9% in the euro area (EA18), stable compared with the previous quarter.
- The first estimate for euro area (EA19) exports of goods to the rest of the world in April 2015 was €173.6 billion, an increase of 9% compared with April 2014 (€159.6 bn). Imports from the rest of the world stood at €148.7 bn, a rise of 3% compared with April 2014 (€144.7 bn). As a result, the euro area recorded a €24.9 bn surplus in trade in goods with the rest of the world in April 2015, compared with +€14.9 in April 2014. Intra-euro area trade rose to €141.0 bn in April 2015, up by 2% compared with April 2014.
- The EU28 seasonally adjusted external current account recorded a surplus of €14.9 billion in April 2015, compared with a surplus of €11.0 bn in March 2015 and a surplus of €4.9 bn in April 2014, according to estimates from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union.
For more information please visit: Link
2. INVESTMENT INDICATORS
UKTI Inward Investment Report 2014/15
The UKTI’s 2014/15 Inward Investment Report shows UK’s exceptionally strong performance in the European and global FDI markets. UK strengthens its position as the Number one destination for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Europe.
3. UK/US EXPORTS/IMPORTS
USA Accounts for 17% of UK Exports in April 2015 (£4.6 bn)
UK Exports to USA (£billion) April 2015 Change from March 2015 Change from April 2014
4.60 16.7% 47.7%
USA Accounts for 9% of UK Imports in April 2015(£2.9 bn)
UK Imports from USA (£billion) April 2015 Change from March 2015 Change from April 2014
4. UK/EU & Non-EU Exports/Imports
Total Monthly UK Trade with EU Member States: April 2015
EU Exports for April 2015 are £11 billion. This is a decrease of £0.8 billion (6.7%) compared with last month and a decrease of £1.4 billion (12%) compared with April 2014.
EU Imports for April 2015 are £17.6 billion. This is a decrease of £2.2 billion (11%) compared with last month and a decrease of £0.4 billion (2.4%) compared with April 2014.
EU trade is a net importer this month, with imports exceeding exports by £6.6 billion.
Total Monthly UK Trade with non- EU Member States: April 2015
Non-EU Exports for April 2015 are £15.5 billion. This is a decrease of £1 billion (6%) compared with last month and an increase of £3.4 billion (28%) compared with April 2014.
Non-EU Imports for April 2015 are £15.7 billion. This is a decrease of £1billion (6.1%) compared with last month and a decrease of £0.3 billion (1.6%) compared with April 2014.
NON-EU trade a net importer this month, with imports exceeding exports by £0.2 billion.
5. NEW INVESTMENTS
US Investments into the UK
ConnectWise expands in UK
ConnectWise, developer of the leading business management platform designed exclusively for technology companies announced its newest international expansion with significant staff growth in its London office. The company also announces that veteran IT solution provider Malcolm Diack has been appointed to the new ConnectWise London office and will help serve as an important resource for the European partner network. The ConnectWise office is located in central London, one of the most dynamic commercial hubs in Europe. ConnectWise has experienced an explosion of interest outside of the United States. Its roster of partners has grown significantly year over year, while attendance at their quarterly user groups has consistently drawn over 100 attendees each quarter. With the expansion in its UK and EU capabilities, the company is aiming to capitalize on the region’s quickly emerging MSP market.
ConnectWise, 4110 George Rd. Suite 200 Tampa, FL 33634 Telephone: 813-463 4700 Website: www.connectwise.com
UK Phone: +44 0808 234 0959
Kurion opens new UK office
Kurion, Inc., an innovator in nuclear and hazardous waste management, announced it incorporated Kurion Limited and opened an office in Warrington, England, to enable it to better support its growing operations in Europe. Phillip Ohl, who previously served as chief operating officer, was named senior vice pr Kurion, Inc.
Kurion, Operational HQ, 1355 Columbia Park Trail, Richland, WA 99352. Tel: 509- 7371377
Corporate Headquarters, 2020 Main St., Suite 300, Irvine, CA 92614. Tel: 949-398 6350 Website; www.kurion.com
Revel Systems opens European HQ in Belfast
Based in San Francisco, California, Revel Systems, a software company that has developed a highly successful feature-rich iPad point of sale (POS) solution for hospitality and retail establishments of all sizes, from small shops to multinational chains have opened their European HQ in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Revel Systems, 1150 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Floor New York, NY 10036 Telephone: 415-744 1433 Website: www.revel.com
Revel Systems London office, 60 Windsor Avenue London SW19 2RR
Revel Systems Belfast office, 3rd Floor, Sinclair House, 89 Royal Avenue, Belfast BT1 1FE
Interrad Medical to set up European HQ in Cardiff
Leading US medical technology firm Interrad Medical is to set up its first European headquarters in Cardiff after a new £5.5m funding round led by the Welsh Life Sciences Investment Fund.The deal, orchestrated by Arthurian Life Sciences which manages the fund for the Welsh Government on a discretionary basis will see Interrad locating at the Life Sciences Hub Wales in Cardiff Bay – where it will have a base for sales, marketing, distribution and training.The Minneapolis-based company is the developer and manufacturer of SecurAcath, the world’s most effective device for securing catheters in hospita Interrad Medical to launch new UK HQ
Interrad Medical, 181 Cheshire Lane Suite 100 Plymouth, MN 55441 Telephone: 763-225 6699 Website: www.interradmedical.com
UK Investments into the US
Sage Group Opens US HQ
Sage, a global leader in business management software for small- to medium-sized businesses and an FTSE 100 company based in the United Kingdom, will establish its North American headquarters and an innovation hub in Atlanta. This will result in the creation of 400 jobs over the next few years. Sage is establishing a new Customer Business Center in the Midtown district of Atlanta, which will open this fall. The goal of the new office is to enhance collaboration and foster innovation and primary support for the company’s newest product, Sage Life, produced in partnership with Salesforce.
The Sage Group plc, North Park, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE13 9AA. Tel: +44 (191) 294 3000 Fax: +44 (191) 294 0002 Website: www.sage.com
September 15-18, 2015 – DSEI 2015 - Excel, London
“DSEI is the largest fully integrated defence and security show in the world, featuring Air, Naval, Land and Security show content. Based in ExCeL, London every two years, the event provides unrivalled access to key markets across the globe.”
For more details on these events, please contact:PJ Menner, Commercial Specialist Tel: +44 (0)20 7894 0470 Email: PJ.Menner@trade.gov
September 30 - October 1, 2015 - E Commerce Expo 2015 - Olympia, London
E Commerce Expo is positioned to address the processes, technologies and services that surround the e-commerce transaction - acquisition, conversion, fulfilment and customer retention. With over 150 exhibiting companies and over 60 education sessions to choose from, E Commerce Expo is a must for anyone with an interest in e-commerce - whether just getting started or a seasoned multi channel retailer.
For more details on these events, please contact: Richard Stanbridge, Senior Commercial Specialist/Head of Industries Team Tel: +44 (0)20 7894 0437 Email: Richard.Stanbridge@trade.gov
July 26–30 July, 2015- AACC Annual Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo- Atlanta, GA
The AACC Annual Meeting is the world’s largest meeting devoted to diagnostic products for diagnosing diseases and measuring health status.
August 5-8, 2015 - Outdoor Retailer Summer Market – Salt lake City, UT
Outdoor Retailer Summer Market has proven to be the leading growth vehicle for retailers and brands of outdoor gear interested in progressing and advancing into multiple channels of the outdoor products marketplace.
September 26-30, 2015 - The Water Environmental Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) – Chicago, IL
The Water Environmental Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) is the largest annual water conference of its kind in the world and offers water quality professionals from around the world with the best water quality education and training. Also recognized as the largest annual water exhibition, the expansive show floor provides unparalleled access to the most cutting-edge technologies in the field.
September 28-30, 2015 - PACK EXPO Las Vegas/Pharma EXPO 2015 – Las Vegas, NV
PACK EXPO Las Vegas, collocated with Pharma EXPO will focus on the latest developments in packaging machinery, processing machinery, converting machinery, materials, packages and containers, and components. The most prominent companies in the industry will be exhibiting and making product introductions at the show.
September 28- October 1, 2015 – ASID International 2015
The ASIS Annual Seminar and Exhibits is the most comprehensive education and networking event in the security industry, attracting more than 20,000 professionals from around the world.
For more information please visit: Link